Thursday 11 September 2008

Indian festivals

Today afternoon I was surfing channels as always and stuck to one news - 'Delhi is busy with ONAM preparations'. I started thinking about time we shifted to Bangalore 4 years back in J P Nagar and remembered how difficult it was to gather some girl children for pooja during 'Kanjake'. My neighbours did not respond nicely and were not able to understand what exactly I was doing. I gave them prasad of 'puri, halwa and chane'. They accepted reluctantly and later donate it to our security guard. I really felt bad as it was for girl children and mamma always told that at least 5 girl children should eat your prasad. I could not perform my MIL shraad also as the panditaain was not available in the temple. Rakhi was also not available easily as i can find it today. In short...North and South Indian were divided and not knowing each other's festivals. But today scenerio is completely different. We celebrate all the festivals including Varalakshmi, Kanjake, Ganesh puja, Holi, Rakhi, Christmas etc. and could see that Delhi is also celebrating ONAM, Ganesha puja etc. India is really merging...reasons can be innumerous but it is good for the people and surely for the next generation. I like when my children participate in all the festivals and celebration and wish the same for the children all over India.

1 comment:

Mihir said...

Yup, its nice to see children having participated in Traditional events. It remindes me my JK days where we used to celebrate festivals across all parts of India, owing to presence of people from all corner. Good that we all merging in one river and wish the river should flow directly into the Great Ocean. Cheers